Welcome to the second newsletter of URBANREC
The URBANREC project enters into its second year of operation!
One year ago – in June 2016 – 21 partners from 7 European countries came together to seek solutions for a better management of urban bulky waste. Involving stakeholders at all levels of the value chain of urban bulky waste – from public authorities managing bulky waste to recyclers willing to put back recycled materials on the market – the project aims to develop and implement an eco-innovative and integral bulky waste management system.
This includes enhancing prevention and re-use, improving logistics and allowing new waste treatments to obtain high added value recycled products.
Since the beginning of this year, project partners have been busy with a number of activities related to:
• Improvement of bulky waste management at local level:
- A comparison between bulky waste management in the four regions involved in the project – Valencia (ES), Flanders (BE), Warsaw (PL) and Izmir (TR) – was completed and will be used as a baseline of the project.
- A commitment between Kringloopcentrum (re-use centre) and IMOG was accomplished to create a second opportunity for bulky waste to enhance reuse.
- The development of an app and a customer portal service for bulky waste management is ongoing in Flanders region.
• Improvement of dismantlement and development of new valorisation routes:
- Fragmentation pilot plant is finished and first trials were accomplished.
- First trials with the materials coming from fragmentation technology were completed and currently optimisation phase is ongoing.
- HCGP (hydro catalytic gasification with plasma) pilot plant is designed and is being built.
• Development of strategies, exploitation, communication and dissemination activities and sharing of results with an external public: through working group meeting of experts on legal issues, and a number of communication and dissemination actions
- Organisation of a 2nd Legal Working Group on the topic of reuse with new stakeholders.
- A very detailed communication and dissemination internal protocol was established to ensure the optimum registration of all activities carried out in the project.
- The project web site was improved, and among other things, links to different regional websites were added.
- Phase 1 established for the Exploitation Plan was accomplished i.e. preliminary Key Exploitable Results (KER) and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) were defined and the 1st market research completed.
Browse the 2nd issue of the URBANREC newsletter to find out more about the latest progress and about the future project activities.
For further information, please visit the project website www.urbanrec-project.eu.
» Author: URBANREC NEWSLETTER
» Publication Date: 16/06/2017