The Spanish technology center has developed two innovations based in electrothermal technology for industrial applications requiring high temperature curing processes (woven sheet) and for increasing thermal comfort (knitted pad).
1. - Electrothermal woven sheet is a high performance thermoelectric solution for industrial applications requiring high temperature curing process. The solution is based on the woven fabric combining several functional materials, thermoelectric fibres, isolating polymers and high tenacity fibres to support rough environments and high performance temperatures from 80ºC to 200ºC. The textile solution provides homogeneous temperature distribution and stable electrical behaviour, while maintaining the textile properties of flexibility and lightness.
The main characteristics of the woven sheet structure are:
- Woven thermoelectric element, combining thermoelectric fibres and aramids
- Metal braid electrode to connect to the power supply
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film sandwich for electrical isolation
- Exterior meta- aramid fabric – High tenacity and high temperature resistance
- Two internal J type thermocouple for temperature calibration
- One external J type thermocouple for process control
Electrothermal woven sheet technical specifications
- Customised dimensions
- Voltage: 230Vca
- Max. Power: 0,8W/cm2
- Max. Operative temperature: 220 ºC
Its flexibility allows adjusting to irregular shapes maintaining uniforms heat distribution. To obtain optimum performance it is recommended to include control elements and temperature detection inside of the heating element.
2.- Electrothermal knitted pad for increasing thermal comfort applications, ideal to be integrated in upholstery and home wear, as well as comfort at the automotive sector, and any application where maximum flexibility is required. Electrothermal knitting pad is a cotton laminated textile element integrating an electrothermic knitted fabric pad.
The main characteristics of the electrothermal knitted pad structure are:
- Lined knitted fabric combining electrothermic lines with 100% polyester lines
- Biocompatible soft Cotton fabric lamination (COTT/ELAST 96/4%)
- Plug Jack connector & textile cable, friendly to skin contact
Electorthermal knitted pad technical specifications
- DC Output:
- 15/16/18/19/20 V at max. 2A
- 22/24V at max. 5A
The asset can be used as a technology embedded on final products, i.e.: cycle maillot, or as an equipment or tool during thermal processes, i.e.: curing carbon fiber materials during resin transfer moulding process. Both cases require customization solution to the final application.
The research centre is looking for companies interested in implementing one or both of these technologies to their products.
The partner sought may come from clothing and sport, automotive, home (upholstery and mattress), industrial (composites curing pad) sectors.
The research centre is interested in a license agreement with these companies in order to transfer its know-how.
The research centre is also interested in a technical cooperation agreement with companies willing to develop a customized product involving one or both of these technologies. The Spanish research centre could provide its expertise in design, development and manufacturing of pre-series.
» Reference: TOES20170103001/SPAIN
» Sector: Ciencias de la vida