Since the official start of URBANREC in June 2016, the project partners have already met twice – in the summer to kick-off the activities of the project, and six months later to exchange first experiences and results.
URBANREC had officially started in the beginning of June 2016 with a number of preparatory tasks and activities. The project consortium of 21 partners met for the first time one month later – on 12 and 13 July 2016 – in Valencia, Spain at the facilities of AIMPLAS. The first meeting marked the official kick-off of the project and gave the opportunity to partners to interact and plan their activities for the upcoming months.
During the first project meeting, URBANREC partners had the opportunity to visit AIMPLAS’ facilities. AIMPLAS has an infrastructure of 8,500 m2 with the most comprehensive technical resources: more than 20 pilot plants with different transformation processes of plastic materials as well as internationally accredited laboratories that comply with the requirements of the ISO 17025 standard.
The second meeting took place on 15 and 16 November 2016 and was hosted by Fraunhofer ICT. The meeting included a tour of Fraunhofer ICT’s facilities and an exchange between partners on the activities performed since the beginning of the project. During the meeting at Fraunhofer ICT in Pfinztal the partners visited the laboratory for the manufacturing of polyurethane foams, the analytic labs where Fraunhofer ICT is able to test almost all types of plastics with different equipment and the technical center of the fragmentation technology.
During the first six months of the project the main activities have been focused on:
• Complete evaluation of bulky waste management in the four regions involved in the project: Valencia (ES), Flanders (BE), Warsaw (PL) and Izmir (TR);
• Enhance bulky waste reuse through a social network for up-cycling;
• Definition of URBANREC demonstrators;
• Development of an app and customer portal service for bulky waste management;
• Separation protocol was established and material flow for fragmentation process determined.
• Fragmentation and HCGP (hydro catalytic gasification with plasma) pilots’ plants were designed and are being built;
• First trials were completed for each one of the new valorisation routes;
• Legal working group was established and first meeting was held in November 2016.
• Communication and dissemination plan was discussed between partners and first actions were accomplished.
» Author: URBANREC
» Publication Date: 01/12/2016